Roadworthy Certificate

FAQ Roadworthy Certificate Brisbane

What’s covered in my car roadworthy safety certificate?

Your cars’ Safety Certificate inspection covers the basics of vehicle safety standards. Our mobile mechanic will inspect:

  • Wheels and tyres
  • Brakes and Suspension
  • Steering
  • Body rust or damage
  • Windscreen
  • Lights
  • Modifications
  • Seats and restraints
  • Oil Leaks
  • Hand Brakes
  • And More

If your vehicle meets compliance in accordance to the Code of Practice, then a Safety Certificate will be issued on the spot. All up, our mobile inspection will take less than an hour and you’ll be provided with a detailed report for your car.

For more information on Queensland Safety Certificates/Roadworthy Certificates, please visit the Queensland Transport Website.


What isn’t covered in my mobile safety certificate?


Our mobile roadworthy service does not cover a full mechanical comprehensive of your car. Having a roadworthiness certificate does not mean:

  • Your vehicle’s general condition has been signed off on.
  • Non-safety related functions are in perfect working order. Ie the air conditioning, electronic windows or computer programming within the vehicle.
  • The items checked during the roadworthy are guaranteed to maintain their condition after the mobile RWC inspection is complete. If your vehicle requires an extra bit of TLC, our team of experts will talk you through any work that is required and will only carry out repairs pre-approved by the you at our Salisbury workshop. We are fully accredited, certified and qualified to look after your vehicle.

What if my car does not pass a roadworthy inspection?


If your car does not pass a roadworthy inspection you have 14 days to fix any issues. We would be happy to assist you in getting your vehicle up to the required standard for certification. The workshop team will talk you through any work that is required and will only carry out repairs pre-approved by the owner of the vehicle. We are fully accredited, certified and qualified to look after your vehicle and streamline your registration, selling or purchasing experience.

Sit back, relax, and let us come to your Brisbane home or office!

The next step is getting your car booked in for a mobile roadworthy certificate inspection. To book please call our Brisbane workshop on 1800 896 722.

Our mobile car roadworthy service is popular for its convenience; however, you can also book into our workshop if needed.

Don’t forget about our price beat guarantee, we will beat any price you receive from a Brisbane local roadworthy provider!


I’m thinking of selling my car. Is my car roadworthy?


A safety certificate is required whenever you’re re-registering or selling a vehicle, and to clear defect notices.

If you’re a driver in Queensland, your vehicle must be issued a roadworthy certificate (RWC).

Under the Queensland Transport Act, there is a provision laying out harsh fines for owners who advertise a vehicle for sale before this safety certificate has been obtained.

If you’re short on time, don’t panic. Our Brisbane light vehicle roadworthy inspections have a same day service guarantee. We service all of Brisbane, stretching up to Noosa and the Sunshine Coast. Get in touch and one of our friendly staff will be in touch to assist you.

We can home to your home, office or job site and perform a fast roadworthy inspection before you hand your vehicle over to the new owner.

Just be aware, you need a new safety certificate every time you sell your car. They’re valid for one transfer only.


I’m thinking of buying a car. What should I know about Roadworthy Certificates Brisbane?


If you’re planning on buying a car, it’s required by law for the seller to provide an up-to-date Roadworthy.

Having this safety certificate proves the vehicle is safe for road use in Australia. As a buyer, you can be guaranteed that a vehicle’s repairs, which are required for a RWC, have been completed before a certificate can be issued.

Know your risks! Never let a seller persuade you to get your own Safety Certificate. This is their legal responsibility. Plus, if there are repairs to be made, it will be at your own cost.

If the vehicle you’re planning to buy is unregistered, be aware there is no legal requirement for the seller to produce a safety certificate. It’s in your interest though to ensure one is issued before the completion of sale.

If you need assistance, call one of our friendly team members on 1800 896 722. They will help you understand how to best protect yourself with car safety certificates.


Where should I display my mobile safety certificate?


It’s important to have your completed Blue Label Safety Certificate displayed in a prominent area on your vehicle, such as the windshield. You could face significant fines for failing to display a current roadworthy the moment it’s listed for sale.

If you’ve been issued an electronic safety certificate, the rules are a little different. They don’t need to be displayed on your vehicle, although you still need to have received one and be able to produce it upon request. Either print it or store it on your smartphone for safe keeping.


Mobile Roadworthy certificate cost in Brisbane


In the Brisbane area and need a mobile safety certificate? Look no further! SAB offers a same day roadworthy Brisbane stretching up to the Sunshine Coast, offering a price-beat guarantee. We will beat any price from a Brisbane local roadworthy provider.

Don’t let the low cost fool you. With over 15 years experience doing Brisbane mobile roadworthys, you’re in safe hands. Our prices are competitive, flexible and affordable. Offering both mobile mechanic and workshop services, we ensure quality, on-time, services either at your home or office.

Book your appointment with the #1 trusted Brisbane mobile roadworthy service today.

Do you need a safety certificate on the fly? Our mobile service means we offer a same day roadworthy guarantee. Book an inspection for your car now, and our mobile mechanic will come to you. We are the #1 trusted mobile roadworthy service.

Do I need a Roadworthy certificate?

If you’re selling or transferring a vehicle or purchasing one that does not yet have a safety certificate, you will need a RWC to complete a transfer ownership through the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads. If you don’t get a safety certificate, the Department of Transport will not be able to grant you a transfer of title for that vehicle and the car may become deregistered. A safety certificate is also required to re-register vehicles when registration expires.

What do I do with the certificate?

You simply need to present your Safety Certificate along with the necessary purchase/ transfer forms and fee to the Queensland Department of Transport. Once you have done this the department can transfer and update their transport records of ownership and the vehicle is yours! You should take your roadworthy certificate to the Department of Transport within 60 days or 2000km from the date of receiving it. Should 60 days pass or you exceed the 2000km limit before processing with the Transport & Main Roads Customer Service Centre, the certificate will expire and a new roadworthy certificate will need to be issued.

Who can issue a Safety Certificate?

A Safety Certificate can only be issued by a licensed assessor. At Totally Mobile Roadworthy, all of our assessors are licensed Queensland mechanics and accredited safety inspectors.

How long does it take to complete an inspection?

You should allow up to an hour for your vehicle to be assessed and approved. This process includes a thorough assessment of the vehicle, a road test, and a written report at the end of the inspection.

How long does a certificate last?

A RWC is valid for sixty (60) days from the date it is issued. This is the timeframe set by Queensland Transport and not by Totally Mobile Roadworthy.

When can a Safety Certificate be issued?

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued after a vehicle passes a safety inspection by one of our expert team.

What if I have a problem with the inspection process or certificate?

If you believe for any reason that your vehicle was not properly assessed or you have any other queries regarding the inspection, you can contact our team directly by calling or emailing us!

My vehicle is unregistered, is that okay?

Of course! It is totally fine for your car to be unregistered when we arrive. Our team always carry a trade plate that allows us to run a road test safely and legally.

Is  safety certificate and a RWC the same thing?

Yes! ‘Roadworthy Certificate’ was renamed ‘Safety Certificate’ by the Queensland Department of Transport – so now these terms are used interchangeably.

Do I need a Safety Certificate for my trailer, caravan or camper?

For trailers or caravans that are under 750kg, NO – you simply need to take it to your closest Department of Transport and Main Roads office and complete a Self Assessment.
If a caravan or trailer is over 750kg, YES – you’ll need to obtain a roadworthy certificate.

You can easily find your vehicles weight on the registration papers or compliance plate!

Do Safety Certificates Expire?

Yes, depending on who is selling the vehicle the times vary.

What’s​ ​the​ ​difference​ ​between​ ​a​ ​Safety​ ​Certificate ​and​ ​​a ​Roadworthy Certificate?

Nothing!​ ​Well,​ ​technically,​ ​Roadworthy​ ​Certificates ​don’t​ ​exist​ ​in​ ​Queensland anymore!​ ​The​ ​certificate​ ​you​ ​need​ ​to​ ​register​ ​or​ ​re-register​ ​a​ ​vehicle​ ​is​ ​now​ ​officially called​ ​a​ ​Safety​ ​Certificate.​ ​The​ ​Queensland​ ​Government​ ​renamed​ ​the​ ​certificates from​ ​Roadworthy​ ​Certificate​ ​to​ ​Safety​ ​Certificate ​back​ ​in​ ​1999.​ ​So​ ​now​ ​you​ ​know!

How​ ​quickly​ ​can​ ​you​ ​get​ ​here?

That​ ​really​ ​depends​ ​on​ ​our​ ​workload​ ​and​ ​where​ ​you​ ​are!​ ​Click​ ​here​ ​to​ ​complete​ ​the online​ ​​Book​ ​an​ ​Inspection​​ ​​form​ ​or​ ​give​ ​us​ ​a​ ​call​ ​ASAP​ ​and​ ​we’ll​ ​give​ ​you​ ​a reliable​ ​estimate.

Are safety certificates required before selling a car?

Yes, absolutely. There is a provision under the Act for Queensland Transport to issue harsh fines in any case where a vehicle is offered or advertised for sale prior to safety certificates being obtained. This applies not only to cars, but also motorcycles, trailers and caravans. Safety certificates are imperative for all vehicles for sale and it’s just not worth the risk; simply book a roadworthy certificate inspection now and let the Chequered Flag issue you with safety certificates documentation. One of Chequered Flag’s mobile roadworthy inspectors will come to you for your convenience, whether it is to your home or workplace (or anywhere else you require us to attend) and carry out the inspection and issue a roadworthy certificate (safety certificates) on the spot. All you have to do is use the Instant Quote to have one of our administrative staff call you to arrange a suitable time for your inspection. For car safety certificates and (roadworthy certificates or RWC), it’s as easy as a phone call. Safety certificates, which were in the past, referred to as a roadworthy certificate, take approximately 45 minutes to complete.

Are you able to provide roadworthy/safety certificates?

Yes, we are an Approved Inspection Station.

How far do you travel?

We service Alderley, Ascot, Aspley, Auchenflower, Bald Hills, Banyo, Bardon, Boondall, Bowen Hills, Bracken Ridge, Bridgeman Downs, Brighton, Brisbane, Brisbane Airport, Carseldine,  Chapel Hill, Chelmer, Chermside, Clayfield, Corinda, Deagon, Eagle Farm, East Brisbane, Enoggera, Everton Park, Ferny Grove, Fig Tree Pocket, Fitzgibbon, Fortitude Valley, Gaythorne, Geebung, Gold Coast, Gordon Park, Graceville, Grange, Hamilton, Hendra, Herston, Highgate Hill, Indooroopilly, Jindalee, Kalinga, Kangaroo Point, Kedron, Kelvin Grove, Kenmore, Kenmore Hills, Keperra, Lutwyche, McDowall, Middle Park, Milton, Mitchelton, Mount Coot, Mount Ommaney, New Farm, Newmarket, Newstead, Northgate, Nudgee, Nudgee Beach, Nundah, Oxley, Paddington, Petrie Terrace, Pinkenba, Red Hill, Riverhills, Sandgate, Sherwood, Shorncliffe, Sinnamon Park, South Brisbane, Spring Hill, St Lucia, Stafford, Stafford Heights, Taigum, Taringa, Teneriffe, The Gap, Toowong, Upper Kedron, Virginia, Wavell Heights, West End,  Westlake, Wilston, Windsor, Woolloongabba,  Wooloowin, and Zillmere.

How much does a Safety Certificate usually cost?

All services start from $80, however the actual cost will depend on distance (how far away you are), and other factors, such as whether your motorcycle requires minor repairs in order to obtain your Safety Certificate (Roadworthy Certificate or RWC).

Why should I service my car?

Regular servicing of your car will allow it to run more efficiently. At Above All Mechanical we can also identify irregularities before they turn into expensive repairs.

My vehicle is shaking when I drive it and pulling to the right?

A severe vibration when accompanied by a pull to the right or left can be associated with a number of problems. You may need your steering checked or you may have a broken tyre belt. We recommend you call us immediately for an inspection.

The new tyres on my vehicle are wearing on the inside edge. Will a wheel alignment help?

Usually, yes. Whenever any unusual wear or cupping appears on the inside or outside edges of the tyre, it indicates the car needs a wheel alignment.

When will I receive my vehicle inspection report?

You will receive your detailed vehicle inspection report at the completion of the inspection via email.

Can I speak to the inspector about the report?

Yes, the inspector will call you to discuss the report after it has been sent through.

Can I have an inspection completed today?

We do offer same day bookings however it is first come first served. We can take bookings any time however booking before the day of inspection will get you the best available time.

Will I have to attend the inspection?

No, you are not required to attend the inspection, however if you wish to be present during the inspection please let us know and our friendly staff will arrange for the inspector to arrange a time with the seller that suits you.

Can I get a refund if I need to cancel?

A refund will be provided if you cancel outside of the 24-hour window of your inspection. Unfortunately, if you cancel within 24 hours of your inspection a refund will not be given.

What’s the difference between an in-store vehicle inspection and a mobile vehicle inspection?

The in-store vehicle inspection is carried out at any NRMA car servicing centre, which is a convenient choice for car owners looking to identify any warranty issues for referral back to the manufacturer. Vehicles inspected at the car servicing centre have the advantage of an inspection on the hoist with the wheels removed to ensure 4WD engagement and a thorough brake pad examination.

Do you check brake pads and discs?

We do check the brake pads and discs in our in-store inspections at an NRMA car servicing centre, but not during our mobile inspection. The mobile inspectors provide a visual inspection only so do not remove any components of the vehicle during our inspection. We do conduct a visual and drive test and any brake issues picked up will be noted.

I can source an inspection at a reduce cost elsewhere, why should I choose SAB Safety Certificate to carry out my inspection? 

Along with providing you with a comprehensive 76 point check on your vehicle, we conduct a test on your battery and charging system, complete a pressure test on the radiator, do a drive test, and every report is accompanied by photographs including interior, exterior, spare tyre, compliance plates, logs books, paint and panels. Our inspectors are qualified mechanics and after the inspection will discuss the report findings in detail and answer any questions you may have. This service comes with the added security of having your vehicle checked by one of the most trusted brands in Australia.

What is a specialist Vehicle?

A specialist vehicle has higher quality equipment, better performance, more precise construction, comfort, higher design, or is technologically innovative.

What about imported vehicles , will you be able to carry out an inspection on it?

Yes, our inspectors are qualified mechanics and have NRMA’s 98 years of industry knowledge behind them. Imported and specialist vehicles are inspected frequently by our inspectors.

Can inspector check the vehicle for odometer tampering?

Unfortunately our inspectors can’t determine whether a vehicle has had its odometer tampered with. However, a CarHistory report will identify and report any inconsistencies that are found.

Can inspectors check the underbody if isn’t on a hoist?

Yes, our inspectors are equipped with the tools required to view the underbody of vehicles without a hoist.

Will the SAB Safety Certificate inspector be able to assist me with others services such as roadside assistance or mechanical repairs?

While all of our inspectors are qualified mechanics, we focus solely on visual inspection of the vehicle and do not carry out repairs. Car servicing and repairs is available at any of the SAB Safety Certificate car servicing  centres covering Sydney and NSW. Alternatively SAB Safety Certificate mobile mechanics are able to come to you in selected areas.

Are you a trusted company?

Yes A roadworthy certificate (or RWC) is essential in Queensland if you are offering your car for sale, transferring ownership, re-registering a vehicle or transferring your registration to another state. Roadworthys certify your car or motor vehicle is safe for use on the road and complies with the Queensland Safety Standards. For more information, please visit the Queensland Government website.