SAB | Mobile Roadworthy Certificate | Brisbane

SAB Safety Certificates Logo


If you’re a vehicle owner in the Sunshine State, you might have wondered, “When do I need a safety certificate?” We’ve got the answers you’ve been looking for!

What’s a Safety Certificate?

First things first, let’s clarify what a safety certificate is. In Queensland, a safety certificate is a document that certifies your vehicle’s roadworthiness. It confirms that your vehicle meets the necessary safety standards and is safe to be on the road.

When Do You Need a Safety Certificate in Queensland?

Selling a Vehicle: 

If you’re planning to sell your car, motorbike, or light trailer in Queensland, you’ll need a safety certificate. It’s the law! The safety certificate ensures that the vehicle you’re selling is safe for the new owner.

Transferring Registration to a New Owner: 

When you’re transferring the registration of a vehicle to a new owner, whether you’re selling it privately or trading it in, a safety certificate is required.

Re-registering an Unregistered Vehicle: 

If your vehicle’s registration has lapsed for more than three months, you’ll need a safety certificate to re-register it.

Imported Vehicles: 

Imported vehicles into Queensland may require a safety certificate, depending on their age and origin.

Defective Vehicle Notice: 

If your vehicle receives a Defective Vehicle Notice from the police or Transport and Main Roads, you’ll need a safety certificate to clear the notice.


If you’ve made significant modifications to your vehicle, such as changing its body type or engine, a safety certificate may be necessary.


Emergency Sales: 

In some situations, such as emergency sales (e.g., when a vehicle needs to be sold urgently due to financial hardship), a safety certificate may not be required, but you must inform the buyer of any issues with the vehicle.

READ  How to Obtain a Safety Certificate in QLD: Step-by-Step Process


Safety certificates are not required for trailers with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) of less than 750kg, but they may still need to meet safety standards.

Remember that safety certificates are valid for two months or 2,000km, whichever comes first, so make sure you plan accordingly.

To obtain a safety certificate, you’ll need to engage a licensed inspection station or an approved examiner to assess your vehicle’s roadworthiness.

In summary, understanding when you need a safety certificate in Queensland is essential to ensure you comply with the law and promote road safety. Whether you’re selling a vehicle, transferring ownership, or re-registering, knowing the requirements can save you time and ensure you’re driving safely.

SAB Safety Certificate

Your trusted source for Roadworthy Certificates in Queensland, Australia. We've been ensuring your safety on the road for over a decade. With SAB Safety Certificate, you're in reliable hands.